Edmunds.com tapped the expertise of three police agencies and two independent traffic experts to see what the top 5 reasons were from the folks in blue’s point of view. In summary:
1. Speeding. No surprise here.
2. Illegal cell phone use. Talking or texting while driving is high on the list of ticket bait.
3. Hazardous driving such as stop sign and stoplight violations, illegal U-turns, failures to yield and unsafe speeds.
4. Equipment violations such as heavily tinted windows, burned-out headlights, broken windshields and expired tags.
5. Tailgating and improper lane changes (such as cutting someone off or changing lanes without looking) tied for fifth place.
BONUS FLAGS! Here are some other attention-getting moves that the police experts didn't mention, courtesy of the National Motorists Association:
- Cruising in the left lane of a multilane highway instead of using it only to pass slower traffic on the right
- Driving more slowly than the normal traffic flow
- Peeling out from a stoplight or stop sign, and squealing tires in general
- Drag racing
- Racking up lots of unpaid parking or traffic violations
Here’s the link to the edmunds.com article.